- How It Works
- Additional Information
Sample Test Item
Test items appear in an easy-to-use window—some items include audio support.
Student profiles provide a complete picture of student growth and statistics in a subject area.
Gains Analysis reports show current growth against selected growth target, disaggregated according to various criteria (this example shows Groups).
Student Gains Analysis
Student Gains Analysis reports show current growth against growth target for each student.
Suggested Learning Objectives
Suggested Learning Objectives provide a roadmap for continued student growth, with links to additional instructional resources for each skill.
Performance Series® provides for more accurate student placement; diagnosis of instructional needs, including instructional adjustments; and measurement of student gains across reporting periods.
Part of a Complete Assessment Solution
Scantron's assessment solution helps educators meet accountability requirements and raise the level of student achievement through a unique combination of standards-based districtwide assessment and computer-adaptive diagnostic testing. Scantron's solution combines a research-based, content-rich computer adaptive test known as Performance Series and a content-neutral, highly flexible testing product known as Achievement Series® that educators use to develop and administer online and paper-based tests.
Need a faster test? PS Express now available!
Scantron now offers a shorter, 25-question version of our popular Performance Series test. Contact a Scantron representative for more information.
Available Subject Areas
- Reading Foundations (grades K-2)
- Reading (grades 2–12)
- Language Arts (grades 2–8)
- Math Foundations (grades K-2)
- Mathematics (grades 2–9)
- Matemáticas en Español (grades 2–9)
- Algebra (1 & 2)
- Life Science and Inquiry (grades 2–8)
Features & Benefits
Traditional "standardized assessments" focus on state standards for one grade level at a time, making it challenging to determine overall student placement or to focus on individual student needs.
- Performance Series provides students with tests custom-tailored to their proficiencies in reading, math, language arts, and life science.
- The online test adjusts automatically to each student's ability level, generating more difficult questions if the student is answering correctly and easier ones if the student is answering incorrectly.
- Students do not spend unnecessary time on test items that are much too difficult or too simple, leading to less time testing and more time learning.
- The result is a valid and reliable "scaled score" that can be used to measure academic growth just as a yardstick is used to measure a child's growth in height.
Performance Series enables teachers to create an individualized learning plan for each student based on their particular needs.
- Scantron's unique Suggested Learning Objectives organize skills and concepts by ability level, according to the Performance Series scaled score.
- These skills and concepts, aligned to state or Common Core standards, help guide instruction by identifying the "next steps" for the teacher, student, and parent.
Performance Series gives you an accurate portrait of each student's instructional level over a wide breadth of knowledge.
- Track individual student, school and even district-wide progress and gains across time.
- Compare performance scores to state standards content, national student groups and reading resources through the Scaled Score, Standards Item Pool Score, National Percentile Ranking, and an optional Lexile® Reading Score.
- Develop custom learning plans for each student immediately after the first assessment with only a few clicks, based on state or Common Core standards.
- As an on-line test, Performance Series provides results immediately so that teachers can impact instruction and properly place students.
- Access either data or student assessments any time and from any location with an internet connection.
WEBINAR: Recorded September 16, 2014
The Mystery of the Missing Measure
Key Factors to Consider
When Developing Assessments
What gets measured gets done! The key is to know what you are measuring—especially when it comes to designing high quality assessments that truly impact student achievement. Join the webinar and explore topics that will help you view assessment development in a whole new light.
View the Recording
Recorded Webinar: Performance Series and CompassLearning
Inform Instruction Using Your Scantron Performance Series Data
Join educators from Alabama and hear how they use Performance Series data and CompassLearning to individualize instruction for their students.
View the recording today!
"[This] is an excellent tool for our school! It helps us make data-driven decisions, which benefit all learners, regardless of performance level."
Amanda Davis, Curriculum Coach, Fort Payne Middle School
"By using Performance Series, we've gained back eight full days of instructional time—and we have the student score reports and instructional resources immediately…"
Dr. Carol Cary, Superintendent of Secondary Education, Archdiocese of Philadelphia
"It helps teachers dramatically focus their efforts…the instruction the next day can be based on [reports from yesterday’s test]…"
Jason Anderson, Executive Director of Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment and Innovation, Frederick County Public Schools, MD
"We have used the Performance Series assessment for ten years at Valley Oak and we find it a very useful tool for identifying specific standards that have not yet been mastered."
Laura Fulmer, Director, Valley Oak Charter
“Performance Series questions went beyond grade-level standards. This…opened the curiosity door and allowed [students] to search the depths of their knowledge.”
Meighan Lewis, Teacher, Munford High School
"Scantron has provided the tools needed to validate student learning and support teacher decisions to move students to the next Performance Level when they are ready."
Dr. Oliver Grenham, Chief Education Officer, Adams County School District 50
"Scantron delivered not only a superior product but also a superior system of delivery, support, flexibility, and technical assistance."
Sherrill Parris, Deputy State Superintendent Alabama State Department of Education
"Performance Series and Achievement Series' analysis tools and reports enable teachers to use their assessment results to effectively drive instruction."
Steve Robinson, Vice –Principal Liberty High School (Literacy First Charter School)