Helping Districts Develop Meaningful Assessments
- Struggling to write effective assessment items?
- Looking to build or expand internal assessment development capacity?
- Unsure whether items and assessments are reliable, predictive, and valid?
- Adopting Common Core State Standards or a Standards-Based Education model?
Scantron provides a full spectrum of support for your assessment development. Whether you want to do it yourself with in-house experts and just need a little support, or whether you need a partner who can guide you through the process, Scantron can meet you where you are and help get you to where you want to be.
Build capacity within your team
Your team is your human capital—no one knows your district’s needs better than those working within it. In addition to providing blueprint, item, or assessment deliverables, Scantron offers extensive professional development so you can grow or expand your own internal expertise.
Support and enhance your team’s efforts
Scantron can provide professional development workshops and deeper consulting to work with your assessment team and develop a plan to meet your needs.
- Developing an assessment blueprint can be a challenge. You know where you are, and you know where you want to be, but you may not be sure how to get there. Scantron can help with consulting and professional development.
- Writing test items yourself provides more control over content, but it also requires skill and precision. Scantron’s team of experts can help guide the item development process, including instruction on the important points of skillful question writing to ensure that tests contain quality items that assess district, state, or Common Core State Standards.
- Sometimes an outside eye can provide that final level of polish you need. Scantron’s team can review your existing items for content, difficulty level, bias, and other critical factors. We also provide professional development on bias and other review topics.
- Once you have items, assembling them into a useful and reliable test may prove more complicated than you think. Scantron’s assessment experts can help you create grade-specific test forms and banks you can deliver easily.
Provide standard or custom content
- Work with Scantron’s team of item development experts to create individual items to fill in gaps, comprehensive item suites, complete tests, or all of the above, designed expressly for your needs.
- Use Achievement Series® to create your own banks of test items or to leverage commercial item banks, including those created by Scantron. Commercial item banks provide high-quality, individual items you can include in tests built manually or via an automatic selection process based on particular district, state, or Common Core State standards.
Incorporate research to demonstrate results
Educators know that detailed research validates assessment efforts. However, shrinking budgets and time constraints mean many districts no longer have the staff to conduct these studies. Scantron’s team can help with a variety of research studies.
At the end of each study, you receive a research brief or report detailing the results of the study.
Help you develop and deliver a complete plan
Scantron Assessment Services can help you with your complete plan. We can guide you through best practices, create blueprints, develop comprehensive item suites for a variety of subjects, and design assessments to measure student achievement.
- Your blueprint can include diagnostic, computer-adaptive assessment for core subjects using Performance Series®.
- Using Achievement Series, we can create fixed-form assessments—delivered using paper forms or our online testing engine—to cover additional subjects, reinforce core subjects, or both.
- We can incorporate high-quality quantitative research into your plan so you can connect assessment results to a variety of state-mandated or voluntary college-readiness standardized tests.
And we can provide ongoing support to ensure student achievement continues to increase through every iteration of your assessment development cycle.
"We have learned so much from [Scantron's] expertise and guidance. The research provided by their psychometricians has been key to our success!"
Mary Lou Caldarera, Supervisor of Assessment, Calcasieu Parish, LA
"Scantron has provided the tools needed to validate student learning and support teacher decisions to move students to the next Performance Level when they are ready."
Dr. Oliver Grenham, Chief Education Officer, Adams County School District 50
"[Scantron] helped write, edit, and review test items for our core content areas, as well as orchestrated the field testing and the psychometric review of these items so that they pass a single parameter model."
Thea Andrade, Asst Superintendent of Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction, Phoenix Union HSD